Club Race #8: Rosters

Club Race #8: Rosters

If you are planning to race on July 9, please check the roster for your field.

Club Race #7: Rosters

Club Race #7: Rosters

If you are planning to race on July 1, please check the roster for your field.

Club Race #6: Rosters

Club Race #6: Rosters

If you are planning to race on June 18, please check the roster for your field.

Club Race #5: Rosters

Club Race #5: Rosters

If you are planning to race on May 20, please check the roster for your field.

A Great Series Underway, Join In

A Great Series Underway, Join In

The CRCA Two Seconds Ahead Women's Development Series p/b Specialized has seen over 90 women participate in our races, coaching sessions, and social events: JOIN IN

Club Race #4: Rosters

Club Race #4: Rosters

If you are planning to race on April 22, please check the roster for your field.

Club Race #3: Rosters

Club Race #3: Rosters

If you are planning to race on April 8, please check the roster for your field.

Club Race #2: Rosters

Club Race #2: Rosters

If you are planning to race on March 26, please check the roster for your field.

CRCA Board Meeting Minutes

CRCA Board Meeting Minutes

CENTURY ROAD CLUB ASSOCIATION

MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Time and Date:           7:00PM – 9:00PM, March 7, 2017

Location:                     Offices of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher at 200 Park Avenue, New York, New York

Attendees:                   The following members of the Board, constituting a quorum of the Board, were present in person or telephonically:

Gabrielle Fisher – President
Tara Parsons – Vice President of Rider Development
Julius Quito – Vice President of Racing
Fred David – Secretary
Ken Edwards – Treasurer
Daniel Goldberg – Communications Director
Jeff Young – Public Relations Director
Madeleine Pascolini Campbell – Membership Director
David Moss – Marshal Director
Hank Greenberg – Director of Teams
Ted Teyber – Director of Open Racing

Absentees:                  None

Lucarelli & Castaldi Club Racing Series:

·       March 4 Club Race Debrief:

o   Feedback from NYC Parks:

§  Marshal issues:

§  NYC Parks and CPC are closely watching our marshal process.

§  Marshals missing from certain key points in park. System for tracking marshals makes difficult to determine which marshals were not in the correct spot. David has prepared a new chart to better track marshals by the location to which they are assigned. To be implemented at future race in Central Park.

§  Quality of marshals also could be improved. David to bring print outs of marshaling guide to future races in order to be able to provide copies to all marshals (rather than relying on marshals reading the guide online in advance).

§  Check-in process for marshals requires optimization.

§  Gabby to reach out to Matthew re: setting up email inbox for marshal waivers (to allow marshals to submit waivers prior to race morning).

§  CRCA racers riding backwards on Park Loop Road and riding on paths / sidewalks:

§  CRCA rules call for any rider riding backwards on Park Loop Ride or riding on paths / sidewalks to be disqualified. This rule is to be emphasized in upcoming races. Dan to email members prior to the next Club Race to re-emphasize this rule. David to emphasize to Paulette / marshals that marshals should be recording the number of any rider seen riding backwards or on paths and to report that number to Paulette or a race official. Board to also enforce this rule by calling out and reporting to Alex R or another official for disqualification any rider seen riding backwards or on paths.

§  Julius to talk to Charlie Issendorf re: how he handles this in Prospect Park, including whether riders caught doing so are suspended for one future race in addition to being DQ’d from that day’s race.

o   Results: Alex R said camera was in a mode that made hard to read results from C field. Point of emphasis to ensure this problem is not repeated.

o   Trailer: Needs to be cleaned out ASAP. Julius to reach out to Alex R. re: availability to assist. Hank to find a team to assist for team duty credit.

Open Racing

·       Grant’s Tomb Criterium:

o   Generally on track to have all open items finalized in time for Saturday’s race.

o   Over 700 racers registered. Lower revenue than 2016 due to more pre-registrations.

o   Tara/Ted to coordinate e-mail to clinic participants regarding meeting before 8AM clinic. Tara to hire additional coach for clinic if necessary.

o   Food Trucks: Wafles & Dinges confirmed. Ted talking to other food trucks about coming.

o   Publicity: Jeff to reach out to NYT re: write-up.

·       Orchard Beach Criterium:

o   To be held May 7.

o   CRCA still looking for a title sponsor.

o   Still waiting for permit to be approved by NYC Parks.

o   Possible that fields (Juniors / Masters) will get cut due to time restrictions imposed by NYC Parks.

o   Ted to reach out to Tomi re: best option for selling poster memorializing Zach Koop at OB. (Past attempts to sell posters over BikeReg have not yielded many sales).

o   Prizes / Swag: Gabby to reach out to Chomper for goods to give out to prizes. Ted to talk to Per from RBNY re: the same.

·       Bear Mountain Classic:

o   CRCA still looking for a title sponsor.

§  Ken/Ted to talk to Jordan family to gauge interest in sponsoring Bear Mountain.

§  Julius to reach out to marketing contacts for potential sponsor leads.

Donors + Sponsorship

·       Lucarelli & Castaldi: Jeff reached out to L&C to discuss expectations in connection with club race series sponsorship. Board to ensure that at all club races (1) L&C tent and business cards are set up and (2) announcements re: L&C are made. All references on website to the club race series now include reference to L&C.

o   Julius to send NYC Parks contract to Jeff to confirm what promotions are permitted before/during/after club races.

·       Hincapie: Jeff having discussions with Hincapie re: hosting a ride + dinner for CRCA Donor Members with George Hincapie as part of Hincapie sponsorship of Maltese and Mengoni races.

·       Donor Membership: Jeff continuing to explore ways to codify donor process and make it more attractive/offer better value. Gabby to put Jeff in touch with Olivia from Specialized.

Marshaling

·       Currently 69 remaining unfilled marshaling spots for 2017. 38 are in the new August 19 race date that replaced the Turkey Race after NYC Parks declined to give CRCA a November race date.

o   CRCA has budgeted for paying up to 50 marshal substitutes in 2017, so likely not an issue.

·       Marshal pages on CRCA.net: Gabby to follow up with Nick for marshal assignments and marshal suspensions.

Communications (deferred at February meeting)

·       Dan creating mailchimp account to allow better formatting of emails (including adding sponsor logos) and longer distribution lists than allowed on “emailer” on crca.net.

·       Monthly communication calendar: Dan to initiate process whereby Board submits all proposed emails/social media posts for entire month in advance to allow sufficient time to schedule and plan out those posts.

Finance + Accounting

·       No risks / major issues.

Teams

·       Coffee/Bagels after Club Races:

o   Scheduled for at least three dates: June 18, September 2 and one date TBD.

o   (Cost to CRCA for coffee/bagels is $750 per race.)

·       Rapha has offered to host end of season race. Hank has confirmed that Rapha expects to have a liquor license by end of season.

·       Group Rides:

o   Gabby to check with USAC to determine whether insurance / waivers are necessary.

§  Tara to set up dates on MindBody account once determined.

o   Rides may be held on race dates. May be held on other weekend dates.

o   5 planned so far (April, May, June, July, August).

Membership

·       Maddy to reach out to Randy regarding updating macro for roster list.

Rider Development / Coaching

·       Skills sessions have been fully subscribed. Added additional sessions. Doing best to accommodate all new riders. Long-term Board needs to consider allocating funds to allow hiring additional coaches and hosting additional sessions.

Secretary

·       Preliminary discussions underway regarding upgrading database / back-end of CRCA.net. Researching “out-of-box” options.

Club Race #1: Rosters

Club Race #1: Rosters

If you are planning to race on March 4, please check the roster for your field.

CRCA Board Meeting Minutes

CRCA Board Meeting Minutes

CENTURY ROAD CLUB ASSOCIATION

MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

January 5, 2017

Time and Date:  7:00PM – 9:00PM, January 5, 2017

Location:               Offices of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher at 200 Park Avenue, New York, New York

Attendees:          The following members of the Board, constituting a quorum of the Board, were present in person or telephonically:

Gabrielle Fisher – President
Tara Parsons – Vice President of Rider Development
Julius Quito – Vice President of Racing
Fred David – Secretary
Ken Edwards – Treasurer
Daniel Goldberg – Communications Director
Jeff Young – Public Relations Director
Madeleine Pascolini Campbell – Membership Director
David Moss – Marshal Director
Hank Greenberg – Director of Teams
Ted Teyber – Director of Open Racing

Absentees:          None

Club Racing:

●      Number Pick-Up: The Board is planning to have two number pick-up events at Veselka. The Board is considering having numbers held at NYC Velo’s East Village location after the pick-up events for later pick-up. TBD whether numbers will be available for pick-up at club races as has been done in past years. The Board is also considering whether team managers (or a designee) will be able to pick up numbers for all teammates.

○               Madeleine to reach out to Etsu (@ Veselka) to coordinate.

○               Ken to coordinate getting numbers to Veselka

○               David to reach out to Andrew & NYC Velo.

●       Women’s Development Series Numbers: Gabby/Ted/Tara to come up with number best practice for W’s Dev Series - this was a pain point last year.

●       Marshals: The Board discussed NYC Park’s new requirement for 2017 requiring an additional 10 marshals at each Central Park Race. Ken/David to discuss expected number of marshal duties vis-a-vis number of marshals required for 2017 races.

●       Masters Fields: Gabby/Julius to review 2017 schedule and see if Masters races can be moved to points race dates

Donors + Sponsor Expectations:

●      Lucarelli & Castaldi will be sponsoring the Club Race Series in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

●      The Board discussed the need for additional sources of revenue (in particular, sponsorships and donor members) to offset potential increase in costs due to additional marshaling requirement imposed by NYC Parks.

●      Jeff/Ken to speak to L&C regarding expectations from sponsor and goal of providing bagels + coffee after warm-weather club races.

●      Dan to reach out to Team Managers for rosters + will encourage members to join at the donor level

●      Gabby to send Jeff list of 2016 and 2015 donor members

●      Jeff to start the dialogue with Hincapie Sportswear (sponsor of Maltese and Mengoni omnium) for donor events this summer

●      Jeff to consider new ways of attracting donor members.

Open Races:

●      Grant’s Tomb: 

○               Scheduled for March 11.

○               Permitting and preparations on track.

○               Still looking for someone to handle over-night duty night before race

○               Still seeking a title sponsor. GT. 

○               Ted to reach out to Gorilla Cheese for sponsorship and bringing a food truck to the race.

○               Ted to reach out to Bicycle Habitat re: providing neutral support services.

●      Orchard Beach: 

○               Scheduled for May 6, 2017

●      Bear Mountain:

○               Scheduled for May 13, 2017 (Saturday (!!!) of Mother’s Day weekend)

○               Specialized might want to sponsor

●      Dave Jordan Classic:

○               Scheduled for June 3. Conflicts with White Plains Crit. The Board determined to not change the date of the race due to lack of available Central Park race dates, difference in time of day of race and White Plains Crit, and difference in types of races. The Board noted that in 2016, the Dave Jordan Classic was held on the same day as the Harlem Crit and both races had strong attendance.

●      Fort Lee Crit: CRCA has agreed to serve as the race promoter (which is owned / organized by the Fort Lee police department) in 2017. The race was not held in 2016.

Coaching:

●       Tara to work with ML on adding dates of coaching sessions to calendar

●       Gabby, Ken, Tara + David to review opportunities for supplementing coaching budget in light of increased Club Series operational costs

Marshal Prep

●       David to review communications sent to marshals, simplify language and ensure information is concise.

Membership + Waiver Management

●       Madeleine / Randy to discuss overall process for managing members, waivers

●       Board agreed that series waivers (for Club Racing Series) would only be accepted via e-mail going forward. Paper waivers may still be submitted on day-of for individual races. All members (Racing, Season Pass, Life, Donor) will now be able to submit series waivers (previously Racing members were not permitted to submit series waivers and instead had to submit waivers for each club race they attended).

Proposed Feb 2017 Topics

●      Review big picture of mission statement of CRCA + how we can deliver

●      Discuss pre-/post-race opportunities for community building and/or teams leading post-race rides

●      Walk through budget and Club’s revenue sources

 

Respectfully submitted,
Fred David, Secretary