Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Bear Mountain Spring Classic
2014 LUCARELLI & CASTALDI CRCA BEAR MOUNTAIN SPRING CLASSIC
One of the oldest and perhaps the most prestigious races on the CRCA calendar, the Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Bear Mountain Spring Classic has attracted elite level competitors from professional teams such as Navigators, Team Type 1, Kelly Benefit Strategies and Jamis Sutter Home. In 2009 the women’s champion was current pro Evelyn Stevens.
For 2014, the race will return to its original course (last used in 2009). The course is widely regarded as one of the finest on the east coast and has been the site of past district and national championships.
2014 RACE INFORMATION AND BIKEREG LINK
THE LATEST NEWS
- 2014/04/09: full fields and preliminary race schedule have been posted to Bikereg.
The Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Bear Mountain Spring Classic is hosted with support from a New York State Bicycle Racing Association grant. Please see www.NYSBRA.com for additional information on NYSBRA.
CRCA is interested in exploring additional sponsorship and vendor opportunities around the event. If interested please email: openracing[at]crca.net
- The Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Bear Mountain Spring Classic will include 8 separately scored categories, all of which are detailed on the Bikereg page. Start times are staged across three separate waves.
- The first wave will start at 8:00 AM and the following waves will start at the conclusion of the earlier waves (estimated 9:45 and 12:30 start times for waves two and three, respectively).
- For the full event schedule and field structure please see Bikereg. Note that start times for the second and third waves are estimated and that the schedule is subject to revision until registration opens.
- Pre-registration only, no day of registration. Please note the field limits: once fields are full registration will close. We may provide wait-lists for selected fields.
- Men’s P/1/2/3 field: Pro Tour and Pro Continental riders are not eligible to race due to UCI regulations.
The Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Bear Mountain Spring Classic takes place in Harriman State Park, the second largest state park in New York. While the 2014 Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Spring Bear Mountain Classic course and race distances are still being finalized you can refer to the 2009 course for insight into the course that will be utilized by clicking here.
- Times listed for Wave 2 and Wave 3 start on Bikereg are approximate. Fields will start no earlier than listed but may be delayed depending on the speed of the prior fields. Be prepared to race at the listed time!
- SRAM neutral support will be provided for selected fields (details TBA) with wheels-in/wheels-out support for all other fields. More information will be published here and included in the technical guide.
- Feed zone is a short walk from the start / finish line – please familiarize yourself with the course prior to race day day (see above for a link to mapmyride).
- Yellow line rule is in effect throughout the entire course: violations will subject individual riders AND entire fields to disqualification.
- Helmets must be worn at all times while riding.
See the flyer for the full details when available.
REGISTRATION / PARKING
- Registration will be at the Lake Welch parking area – no parking anywhere expect the Lake Welch parking area. This will be strictly enforced.
- CLICK HERE for a map to the Lake Welch parking area. Note that Harriman State Park is quite large and the parking areas can be confusing – please plan in advance.
- Please use the park’s restrooms and the provided portable toilets.
The 2014 Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Bear Mountain Spring Classic is hosted with support from a New York State Bicycle Racing Association grant. Please see www.NYSBRA.com for additional information on NYSBRA.
Pictures from the 2009 Bear Mountain Spring Classic are here, courtesy of MGMatt’s flickr photostream.
|2011||Matthew Waller (Tri State Velo)||Kristin Lotito (Houlihan-Lokey/Sanchez)||Roger Aspholm (Westwood Velo)|
|2010||Aaron Fillion (Ride with Rendall)||Alejandra Madrinan (CRCA/Comedy Central)||Edward Angeli (Targetraining)|
|2009||Clayton Barrows (CRCA/Empire)||Evelyn Stevens (CRCA/Radical Media)||David Freifelder (Westwood Velo)|
|2008||Matthew Johnson (CRCA/Empire)||Beth Miller (North Atlantic Velo/Classbook.com)||Ciaran Mangan (CCB)|
|2007||Ryan MacKenzie (Equipe Volkswagen)||Lauren Shirock (BMW/Bianchi)||John Funk (Fiordifrutta)|
|2006||Phil Cortes/David Veilleux (Garneau Optik)||Emma Nelson (Advil Chapstick)||Dzmitry Buben (CCB)|
|2005||David Greenfield/Josh Dillon (Louis Garneau)||Margot Herman (Mission in Motion)||Andrew Ruiz (CCB)|
|2004||* Melitio Heredia (Toga)||Anna Milkowski (Rona)||Ramon Benitez (Artemis)|
|2002||Nat Faulkner (Kissena)||Laura van Gilder (Trek Plus)||John McGovern (Bethel Cycle Sport)|
|2001||Kevin Monahan (Colorado Cyclist)||Roz Reekie-May (Pittsburgh Cycling)||John Funk (GBMC)|
|2000||John Lieswyn (Shaklee)||Tina Mayola (AutoTrader.com)|
|1999||Peter Mazur (Kissena)||Laura van Gilder (Navigators)||William Kinney (RedRose Rockets)|
* Joe Papp finished 1st in 2004 but was stripped of all results since 2001 after pleading guilty to doping charges.