CRCA Board Meeting Minutes



January 5, 2017

Time and Date:  7:00PM – 9:00PM, January 5, 2017

Location:               Offices of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher at 200 Park Avenue, New York, New York

Attendees:          The following members of the Board, constituting a quorum of the Board, were present in person or telephonically:

Gabrielle Fisher – President
Tara Parsons – Vice President of Rider Development
Julius Quito – Vice President of Racing
Fred David – Secretary
Ken Edwards – Treasurer
Daniel Goldberg – Communications Director
Jeff Young – Public Relations Director
Madeleine Pascolini Campbell – Membership Director
David Moss – Marshal Director
Hank Greenberg – Director of Teams
Ted Teyber – Director of Open Racing

Absentees:          None

Club Racing:

●      Number Pick-Up: The Board is planning to have two number pick-up events at Veselka. The Board is considering having numbers held at NYC Velo’s East Village location after the pick-up events for later pick-up. TBD whether numbers will be available for pick-up at club races as has been done in past years. The Board is also considering whether team managers (or a designee) will be able to pick up numbers for all teammates.

○               Madeleine to reach out to Etsu (@ Veselka) to coordinate.

○               Ken to coordinate getting numbers to Veselka

○               David to reach out to Andrew & NYC Velo.

●       Women’s Development Series Numbers: Gabby/Ted/Tara to come up with number best practice for W’s Dev Series - this was a pain point last year.

●       Marshals: The Board discussed NYC Park’s new requirement for 2017 requiring an additional 10 marshals at each Central Park Race. Ken/David to discuss expected number of marshal duties vis-a-vis number of marshals required for 2017 races.

●       Masters Fields: Gabby/Julius to review 2017 schedule and see if Masters races can be moved to points race dates

Donors + Sponsor Expectations:

●      Lucarelli & Castaldi will be sponsoring the Club Race Series in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

●      The Board discussed the need for additional sources of revenue (in particular, sponsorships and donor members) to offset potential increase in costs due to additional marshaling requirement imposed by NYC Parks.

●      Jeff/Ken to speak to L&C regarding expectations from sponsor and goal of providing bagels + coffee after warm-weather club races.

●      Dan to reach out to Team Managers for rosters + will encourage members to join at the donor level

●      Gabby to send Jeff list of 2016 and 2015 donor members

●      Jeff to start the dialogue with Hincapie Sportswear (sponsor of Maltese and Mengoni omnium) for donor events this summer

●      Jeff to consider new ways of attracting donor members.

Open Races:

●      Grant’s Tomb: 

○               Scheduled for March 11.

○               Permitting and preparations on track.

○               Still looking for someone to handle over-night duty night before race

○               Still seeking a title sponsor. GT. 

○               Ted to reach out to Gorilla Cheese for sponsorship and bringing a food truck to the race.

○               Ted to reach out to Bicycle Habitat re: providing neutral support services.

●      Orchard Beach: 

○               Scheduled for May 6, 2017

●      Bear Mountain:

○               Scheduled for May 13, 2017 (Saturday (!!!) of Mother’s Day weekend)

○               Specialized might want to sponsor

●      Dave Jordan Classic:

○               Scheduled for June 3. Conflicts with White Plains Crit. The Board determined to not change the date of the race due to lack of available Central Park race dates, difference in time of day of race and White Plains Crit, and difference in types of races. The Board noted that in 2016, the Dave Jordan Classic was held on the same day as the Harlem Crit and both races had strong attendance.

●      Fort Lee Crit: CRCA has agreed to serve as the race promoter (which is owned / organized by the Fort Lee police department) in 2017. The race was not held in 2016.


●       Tara to work with ML on adding dates of coaching sessions to calendar

●       Gabby, Ken, Tara + David to review opportunities for supplementing coaching budget in light of increased Club Series operational costs

Marshal Prep

●       David to review communications sent to marshals, simplify language and ensure information is concise.

Membership + Waiver Management

●       Madeleine / Randy to discuss overall process for managing members, waivers

●       Board agreed that series waivers (for Club Racing Series) would only be accepted via e-mail going forward. Paper waivers may still be submitted on day-of for individual races. All members (Racing, Season Pass, Life, Donor) will now be able to submit series waivers (previously Racing members were not permitted to submit series waivers and instead had to submit waivers for each club race they attended).

Proposed Feb 2017 Topics

●      Review big picture of mission statement of CRCA + how we can deliver

●      Discuss pre-/post-race opportunities for community building and/or teams leading post-race rides

●      Walk through budget and Club’s revenue sources


Respectfully submitted,
Fred David, Secretary